I am incredibly lucky to work with a group of outstanding volunteers. On January 11, 2013, the Chapter board members and dedicated volunteers gathered for what they thought was simply a casual dinner with spouses where, for a change, they wouldn’t be required to take minutes, debate strategic ideas, or plan the next CPLD events. In addition to the relaxing and fun-filled evening, volunteers were presented with small glass trophies and certificates to thank them for the countless hours of dedication. They have given up time with their families, stayed long hours at the office to complete CMA work, and spent many long evenings in board meetings.
Trophies were presented to the following volunteers for over 2 years of service to the Chapter:
- Derek Johnson: dedicated volunteer and board member. Derek began in 2011 as a volunteer supporting the online communities. He has since taken over all of the online communities, expanded our Twitter following, Facebook likes, developed the LinkedIn group, redesigned the layout of the Chapter newsletter, and over the past 7 months has stepped up to add Vice-Chair duties in addition to the online communities. Derek attends many of our networking events and has been integral in the development of the Chapter’s social events.
- Karl Dhillon: dedicated volunteer and board member. Karl began working with the Chapter in early 2011 as the Treasurer. When he was able to recruit a volunteer to assist with his duties, he was able to spend more time working on the development of networking events for the Chapter. Karl has moved from Treasurer to Director of Networking. Under Karl’s direction, the Chapter hosted two of its most successful Holiday Social events, hosted the first annual sports-themed networking event, after-work networking event, and summer social. Karl has incredible energy, ideas, and drive.
- Amy Sohi: dedicated volunteer and board member. Amy has been working with the Chapter since 2011 supporting CPLD. Initially working with others to plan and host the events, Amy now manages CPLD from concept to day-of hosting. Amy picks topics, finds speakers and venues, coordinates the registration process, and works with others to duplicate the events in the Valley.
- Brian Moist: dedicated volunteer and board member. Without Brian, the Chapter simply would not have events in the Valley. In 2011, Brian attended one of the downtown events and asked the coordinator at the time, “why aren’t these ever hosted in the Valley?” Well Brian, we’re glad you asked! Since that day, Brian has been dedicated to the development of the CMA Chapter in the Valley.
- Carmen Dragan-Sima: dedicated volunteer. Carmen works tirelessly behind the scenes to post every event, both downtown and in the Valley, to the Eventbrite website. This role includes answering the many email questions and changes, and coordinating with paypal to ensure a smooth registration process.
- Emilia Panakova (not in picture): dedicated volunteer and board member. Emilia originally joined the Chapter to support the Treasurer but in a very short amount of time had taken full responsibility for the Treasury position. In addition to the many duties as Treasurer, Emilia has found time to make improvements to the efficiency of the Chapter by streamlining expense reimbursement and improving our account management.
- James Laitinen: dedicated volunteer. James is full of energy and great ideas! He has contributed many hours to the development and improvement of Chapter events. Although still a student in the Accelerated Program, James still finds time to volunteer an incredible number of hours to the Chapter.
- Blanca Lescano: dedicated volunteer and board member. Blanca has joined the board as our Secretary in 2012. She quickly has become an integral part of the Chapter through dedication, organization, and sharing her ideas. The Chapter is lucky to have someone with her experience on our team.
Thank you to all the board members and dedicated volunteers for your time and energy. It is a pleasure to work with you all.
- Laura Thomas